Are you concerned about something that has to do with your health?

If you have any items, concerns or questions about health related items, please email me your questions I will do my best to provide you with well researched and accurate answers.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Food Allegies


I recently went to the doctor for a full checkup.  While there I asked him to check for any possible allergies I might have.  Several Years ago I had previously had an allergy skin test where they put a little bit of all the main items people are allergic to and poke your arms and back.  At that point in time the doctor said you’re partially allergic to peanuts but most people are, so just keep eating them.

This time the new doctor had my blood drawn and a fair amount of it.  When I met with him several weeks later in his office he went through my results with me and I was shocked.  It turns out most people are highly allergic to lots of things.  The doctor had my blood tested for nearly 100 items and I found out that I am highly allergic to my favorite foods that I eat every day.  Things like eggs, wheat, gluten, milk, some cheeses and garlic.

It turns out that some even though we enjoy eating lots of foods and enjoy them as main stables in our life we may still be allergic and our bodies may be fighting these foods and having bad reactions with out our knowledge.  However by getting one of these advanced blood allergy tests we can learn how to angle our diets away from these foods and improve the way our body operates.  I like to think of this like putting cheap fuel or alcohol in the gas tanks in our cars.  If we have always done it we have no idea how good are car might run if we switch over to a higher grade gasoline for a long period of time.
Though I have not yet eliminated all my allergy foods out of my life I have started to eliminate many and have noticed how much better I can feel even though I didn’t know it.  I also now understand why the flu shot makes me so sick every year, eggs not the virus.

Just as a tool of knowledge if not more, I highly recommend everyone gets the test and find out what ales them.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jonathan I just discovered I'm allergic to corn. Unfortunately most products contain some kind of corn. Just went through my pantry, almost every box of cereal, pastas, creamers, and canned soups have some kind of corn derivative in it. Wow, this is going to be tough to rid my diet of corn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always see comments on products such as "sugar Free"; "soy Free", " made in factory with Peanuts" or "allergen safe". But not that I am learning about my corn allergy I never see anyone use the statement corn free! I have to tell you this is harder than it sounds because as I am finding their is corn or a derivative in just about every product in my pantry. Even baby formula has corn in it, my mother just mentioned to me that was probably why I was always sick as a baby. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand where you are comming from and based on the severity of your reaction you may have to just do your best and settle with some exposure to have a fulfilling life. I would expect for you to see a corn free sign on corn free foods in the future much like we now see the dairy, wheat, peanut, and gluten free symbols.

    ReplyDelete